My Photo
Name:
Location: Carlsbad, California, United States

I'm a wife, crafty mum, teacher and writer. I write to remember, I write to stay sane, I write to share what we five are up to. Grab a cup of tea and stay awhile!

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Sicker than I realized

Well, it's one thing to be sick with a cold, which given our climate and the fact that I am in and out of my kids' preschool four days a week, isn't much of a surprise, but it's another to find out that your body is rebelling on you.

While we were in California, I noticed that my skin was particularly itchy. I thought it was just climate change, scratched a bit, lotioned a lot, and let it go at that. But back at home, it has only increased, and it is now all over my body, not the expected belly stretching itching that anyone at 36 weeks would expect. Three days ago I had my regular midwife appointment, and at the last minute, the itching got the better of me and I remembered to ask her about it. She immediately recognized that it could be liver related and ordered a series of blood tests. Luckily, the next day was the one day each week when a lab clinic opens for three hours on the island, so I was able not only to do it at home, but not have to wait very long to do so.

The results returned the next day - I have something called obstetric cholestasis. A bad definition would be that something has caused my liver's bile duct to not allow the normal amount of bile salts through to my intestine for processing, meaning that there is a back up in my liver. My liver can't support all of that, so the extra spills into my bloodstream. My bloodstream runs near the surface of my skin, and by some miracle, attempts to rid itself of these extra toxins by popping through my skin. Of course this also means that my blood flow going to the baby is toxic. The midwife called with the results and sent us immediately to the hospital to consult with an obstetrician.

Great doctor - she was calm and not given to a rash decision (some of the websites - it can be dangerous to google! - stress that stillbirths become common and that a very early induction is required), so we had fetal monitoring (baby is happy!) and bloodwork. At this point I am elevated but not high, so we are going to wait and see - 35 weeks is a bit early to consider meeting this peanut!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home