My Photo
Name:
Location: Carlsbad, California, United States

I'm a wife, crafty mum, teacher and writer. I write to remember, I write to stay sane, I write to share what we five are up to. Grab a cup of tea and stay awhile!

Saturday, February 11, 2006

Long time, no blog... a quick update

I'm always surprised when I suddenly realize that two weeks has passed, and while I've managed to read a few of my favorite blogs, I haven't actually managed to write one myself. So a quick update on the food and craft homefront...

Crafts are easy - after a long hiatus, I managed to get to a Michael's and spend an unseemly sum of money (this is Canada, and things tend to cost quite a bit more than the US counterpart that I'm accustomed to forking over) buying the scrapbooking pages and stuff that I needed. I haven't hauled it all out to work on yet - that will come when Chris heads back into town for his two days of classes. The kids and I leave in three weeks for California and a short, hopefully sunny vacation, so I want to have all of 2004 wrapped up by then.

I'm in a small but wonderful Mum's Group here on the island, and the other two moms and I managed a day away last Monday to celebrate my birthday (it is telling how hectic life is that this was the first day we managed it, and my birthday was back in September). Since I rarely get into town for anything but grocery shopping, it was a real treat to meet the girls and go shopping, in that poking in and out of whatever store seemed interesting at the moment kind of way. We started at our friends shop, Shed, which has just about the best collection of everything from soap to furniture and knitted baby caps to old styled metal toys. I drooled quite a bit, but managed to refrain from doing too much to be responsible for them staying in business. Then lunch at Burgoo's - what an incredible selection of soups and stews! And to get to eat in the company of all adults, with no rushing, spilling or fussing! Then on to Urban Yarns, right across the street (all of these are on 10th in Vancouver)... expensive but what a selection! The space was too tight (especially with a pregnant belly), but I just wandered up and down the store fingering yarn. I managed to fall for only one - a hank of cotten chenille that was so beautiful that I was actually disappointed to get home and ball it up for making my baby a cap - there is something seductive, to me, about a thick and soft hank of beautiful yarn.

As for projects I'm working on... I guess that'll have to wait for the next blog, but there are several.

And as for food... not so much on that front. I did get a few new cookbooks, and we've eaten a few recipes... but again, this is meant to be a blog, not a novel, and I've got to go wake up a napping girl!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home