My Photo
Name:
Location: Carlsbad, California, United States

I'm a wife, crafty mum, teacher and writer. I write to remember, I write to stay sane, I write to share what we five are up to. Grab a cup of tea and stay awhile!

Monday, January 23, 2006

Random dinner with us

Us being my family - husband, wife (properly known as partners here in Canada), two kids and counting (only three months left til number three arrives). We all love food - the women could eat round the clock, the men are a bit more particular. Sugar tends to be out, whole grains tend to be in, and everyday feels like a race to the finish. Hopefully this will entertain and give some recipe ideas, at the very least occasionally make you hungry.

A few nights ago we had a perfect "extending the table" moment. Since the whole idea is making every bit count and being hospitable not only when it is convenient, but when the guest just shows up, it was fitting that as I was thinking of creating this blog, some friends just showed up. We live on a rather small island off the city of Vancouver, and it takes about two months to go through the entire video collection at the library. So Chris (my husband) bought a huge lot of DVD's - say, 500 movies. Now we are a regular blockbuster video store - and people are often showing up to borrow a movie. So these friends show up just as we are mid-way through dinner - and we coerced them to stay for supper. We love people just showing up! It was a fine night - a very simple meal of brown rice and the simplest recipe for black bean chilaquiles that I've ever made. I had planned on freezing the leftovers for when baby comes, but how much more fun to have company!

Bon Appetit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home