My Photo
Name:
Location: Carlsbad, California, United States

I'm a wife, crafty mum, teacher and writer. I write to remember, I write to stay sane, I write to share what we five are up to. Grab a cup of tea and stay awhile!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Last Day of School

Today is the last day of school. My kids attend a local Montessori Preschool, so today will be a rite of passage for them - celebrating their year together here, and formally passing into the next year. Of course, because it is Montessori, they will both be in the same classroom next year as well - the three year cycle is one of my favorite things about Montessori. Again they will be in a class together, with teachers who support them as individuals, so they don't feel like big brother (or little sister) is watching.

Every family is bringing something good to eat as part of the celebration. Siena and I are making cheese scones, a version of the basic scones that we have made for most of our snack days. With raisins they are a "treat," with chocolate chips they are a "huge treat" and with cheese they are part of our meal (which they still, thankfully, see as a treat). they are a big hit because we can use cookie cutters with them - since we don't do very much sugar, we don't make cookies often, so our cookie cutters are really scone cutters.

They are a hit with the kids, even when I make them with whole wheat flour, so I consider this recipe a keeper.

BASIC SCONES:
2 cups flour (I usually do at least half whole wheat)
1/4 cup sugar (less if cheese scones)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3 TB cold butter, cut up (a bit more if you like a flakier scone)
3/4 cup milk (I just pour a bit at a time until it comes together)
1 egg
Filling (about 1/2 cup fruit or chips, or grated cheese)

Stir dry together, add butter and cut in. Add filling and stir around. Stir in egg and milk, a bit at a time, until the dough just comes together. Gently knead into a ball, roll out to approx. 3/4 inch thick, and cut into shapes. Bake at 350 for 12-18 minutes, depending on thickness and size of scone.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the scone recipe! I can't wait to try to make it with Jay.

9:12 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home