My Photo
Name:
Location: Carlsbad, California, United States

I'm a wife, crafty mum, teacher and writer. I write to remember, I write to stay sane, I write to share what we five are up to. Grab a cup of tea and stay awhile!

Friday, September 29, 2006

The countdown begins

Not much going on in blogland these days, as we've begun the countdown to leaving Bowen on Halloween night. Halloween is THE Bowen holiday, and we couldn't miss it for the world, even though I'm not a huge fan of a holiday where my children consume and collect more candy than their own body weight. But we get to travel with what will feel like the entire island around one particular neighborhood and at each door be greeting by what will feel like old friends (even the new ones) and then stand on the causeway by the lagoon and watch the volunteer fire department wow us all with a genuinely lovely fireworks display. All the while drinking free hot cocoa and wearing those snap and glow stick necklaces and slyly eating candy from the kids bags. I love this day - strike that - night of the year, and I am so thankful we can stay through that day...

But enough moaning about leaving. Things have been busy in the household. Chris and I have been going through everything, one day at a time, and reduce/reuse/recycling our way to a trimmer house. I have given away over 6 garbage bags loaded with kids clothing, almost the same in adult clothing, sold baby and kid things, convinced myself that if I haven't used a fabric in three years I am not likely to do so while it is in storage (and so giving it away, gasp, it was hard), and even managed to go through my paper crafts and give away more than half of it. Chris keeps looking at my craft shelf and saying helpful like, "gee, it is still pretty full, isn't it?" and that is actually very good because I am nothing if not a bit competitive, and then I get the oomph to actually go through it one more time and be a bit more realistic and share the wealth with a few more lucky friends. Wish I were in the US postage-wise, because then I could mail off some of these fun things to those who would love them...

So that is the destructive front. On the creative front, I have finished a few projects. I will try to get the photos up and posted soon - there is a darling tag/ribbon blanket, a teething ring, an apron for Siena, and I am in process on a bag for me. All in the name of using up a few things.

It occurs to me that I have lost my momentum on "intentional Thursdays" - but that is really because (she justifies, she scores) I have been so intentional about moving through our own house and getting ready for this move in a way that isn't too frantic. Ha. Well, we are getting there, and I hope that once I am settled into DC I will figure out if this blog will continue there, or if it will, like my life on bowen blog, just become an incredible memory of our time here...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home